In his Chief Learning Officer column (Selling Up, Selling Down, September 2002), Bob Mosher, director of education for Element K, challenged us to think not only of investment but of return on investment. While we applaud his optimism, most organizations find high value in creating the Kirkpatrick Level 4 measure: behavioral outcomes. Kirkpatrick’s Level 5 creates ROI measures that are very difficult using current technologies.
Bob Mosher referred to behavioral outcomes in his opening on competency mapping. Tracking incremental behavioral improvements illustrates the value of e-learning because employees are consistently driving the firms’ vision and values through their core competencies.
Mark R. Edwards, Ph.D.
- Combatting impostor syndrome through learning and development
- Intentional servant leaders are the key to organizational health
- The mindset of a lifelong learner
- Beyond the status quo: how enlightened CLOs can enable true employee readiness
- Grow multicultural leaders with coaching, not just business English