In his Chief Learning Officer column (Selling Up, Selling Down, September 2002), Bob Mosher, director of education for Element K, challenged us to think not only of investment but of return on investment. While we applaud his optimism, most organizations find high value in creating the Kirkpatrick Level 4 measure: behavioral outcomes. Kirkpatrick’s Level 5 creates ROI measures that are very difficult using current technologies.
Bob Mosher referred to behavioral outcomes in his opening on competency mapping. Tracking incremental behavioral improvements illustrates the value of e-learning because employees are consistently driving the firms’ vision and values through their core competencies.
Mark R. Edwards, Ph.D.
- Leverage AI to foster a learn-it-all culture
- Kraft Heinz CLO Pamay Bassey is reimagining corporate learning with laughter and passion
- Listen: Discover Financial Services’ Jon Kaplan on tuition assistance programs and the importance of building trust among your learning team
- Training for an unnatural disaster
- How you get feedback from learners is changing fundamentally