Settle in to a nice Saturday barbecue with these top five stories from CLOmedia.com for the week of July 13.
1. What Learners Really Want: Listen to your learners: They want speed, diversity and adaptability in internal development programs.
2. Forget Gen Y: Are You Ready for Gen Z?: Members of Generation Z, or the iGeneration, require a different recruiting and development approach. But meeting their needs won't be as tough as learning leaders think.
3. Turn a Boss Into a Leader: Help managers use their position for good by teaching these three skills that emphasize earning influence rather than wielding it.
4. Extreme Makeover: Learning Edition: A financial technology company self-transforms its learning department from order takers to business partners.
5. Do You Have a Company Learning Roadmap: These five elements can help create a clear route between employee development and performance and a company's mission, goals and success.
In Other News …
Should Americans work more? To hit 4 percent growth, we would have to, writes The New York Times. Read here.
Also, wage differences are high on the list as unions begin talks with the major automakers on a new contract, reports The Wall Street Journal. Read here.
Finally, the 21 biggest family owned businesses in the world, via Business Insider. Read here.