Maynard, Mass. — Aug. 15
Those in the engineering field are both most satisfied in their current job while also not confident in their job prospects, according to a new survey from Monster.com.
Among employed job seekers recently surveyed, engineers expressed the greatest satisfaction with all aspects of their job (42 percent), edging out finance and healthcare respondents. Despite these high levels of satisfaction, engineers believe they face some challenges in the job market:
• More than one-half (57 percent) state that the job market is saturated with qualified talent.
• Only 37 percent agree that employers are willing to provide the time and training to support a job.
• Only 27 percent agree that employers are willing to provide higher compensation than 12 months ago.
• Only 11 percent are extremely confident they could find a new job in the next year.
The employer perspective is quite different, however. According to a recent Monster survey of employers recruiting for engineering talent, a majority (73 percent) reported they were likely to hire this year, yet less than one-half (39 percent) were confident in staffing all their engineering job opportunities due to a lack of qualified candidates, highly specialized job requirements and non-competitive salaries.
The top occupations within the engineering field include industrial, mechanical and electrical engineers especially in cities such as Houston, New York and San Diego.
Top 10 Engineering Occupations:
1. Industrial Engineers
2. Mechanical Engineers
3. Electrical Engineers
4. Civil Engineers
5. Electronics Engineers, Except Computer
6. Electronics Engineering Technicians
7. Industrial Engineering Technicians
8. Industrial Safety and Health Engineers
9. Computer Hardware Engineers
10. Aerospace Engineers
Top 10 Markets:
2. New York
3. San Diego
5. Austin, Texas
7. Los Angeles
8. San Francisco
10. San Jose
Source: Monster WorldwideFiled under: Measurement