These were the top five stories on CLOmedia.com for the week of October 10.
- Help Managers Manage Tough Talks: Avoiding tough conversations doesn’t leave employees or the company in a better place. Fortunately, managers can develop their ability to confront problems head on.
- The Fight Against Resonance in Learning: There are many factors that can stand in the way of learners gaining new knowledge, skills and attitudes. Resonance — whether something feels right — is particularly insidious.
- 2016 Learning In Practice Award Winners: More than 60 executives and companies were recognized with a Learning In Practice award for excellence in employee learning and workforce development.
- Ladies, Move from Tactical Manager to Strategic Leader: High-potential corporate women are often seen as overly assertive, tactical operators, but the right development can help to create gender parity in leadership.
- Sink or Swim: Setting First-time Leaders Up for Success: Too often new leaders are figuratively thrown into the deep end to sink or swim — either to figure out on their way or to fail miserably, never again trying their hand at a leadership role.
- Listen: Upwork’s Zoe Harte makes the case for freelancers as core part of talent development strategy
- What should be the employer’s role in tackling student loan debt?
- Intellectual humility is a key skill for tomorrow’s leaders
- Student debt is an impediment to lifelong learning
- Standing still is no longer an option